Sunday 21 August 2011

S'mores!

So, to continue my theme of how flipping great weekends are, I shall tell you all about Saturday.

We were pootling around in the garden, I was playing with my new toys (car seat and attachments and coccoon for my Phil and Ted's pushchair, I am becoming quite the pram hun) and the Rock God was mowing the lawn while the Chums pulled up dandelions.

I love my garden, it's a bit of a wilderness but it's getting there, and I love the weekends when we do a big lot of work on it and it looks like a 'proper' garden. This lasts for about a week before the grass and weeds take over again.




Then my parents arrived for a visit. My parents live about 200 yards down the road so we see a lot of them.

We all sat in the sunshine and put the world to rights for a bit. Then we decided that the weather was so fine we should BBQ back at my parents'. The Chums went on ahead to set up the paddling pool while my Dad lit the barbie.

When the Rock God and I got there, the Boy was already soaked through to his pants (he would find water in the Sahara and soak himself, he has a gift) and the Pie was being a gymnast extraordinaire on the climbing frame.

We had a lovely meal of sausages, steak and pork chops and then my brother came up with the idea of making S'mores on the fire.

S'mores. The food of the gods. Something my brother picked up in Canada a few weeks ago.

You put chocolate on a biscuit and put it by the fire to melt. Then you toast a marshmallow on a skewer. THEN you sandwich it all together with another biscuit. It's gooey, it's melty, it's sheer artery hardening joy. 

This is a very neat and well put together version. Ours were nothing like this.

So that was pretty epic. Then we let the Chums run around with the hose for a while under the premise of 'watering the garden'. I wish I'd taken pictures because they are just bonkers. Two kids and a hosepipe = hours of fun.

Such a fantastic day.

Topped off this morning by a completely undisturbed lie in until 9.05. Oh yes. Life is sweet.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fabulous day. Nothing better than a family BBQ. And S'mores!! I have never heard of them until now but I have a feeling I'm going to be eating these a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I remember eating those in the States, heaven. I've never thought of making them here actually, the children would love them.

    ReplyDelete